Visit to Kisizi Water Falls
Visit to Kisizi Water Falls: Kisiizi Waterfalls lie on Kyabamba river a few meters from Kisiizi Hospital in Rukungiri district bordering Kabale in Western Uganda. The waterfalls are approximately 30 meters high off a cliff at Kisiizi on the Rushoma river that pours its water into Lake Edward. Kisiizi has both historical and geographical significance. Visit this attraction as part of your South western Uganda adventures.
Drive to Rukungiri on one of your South western Uganda tours to visit this little known haven of tourism. Watch the beautiful falls while on the suspended bridge and enjoy spectacular photography here, get opportunity to see the crowned crested crane here as well as the rare shoebill stork.
Visit the hospital on whose land the waterfalls occurred, the hydro power plant, nursing institution and the community to learn about the past tradition that left many young girls dead before civilization set in.
Have lunch in Kisiizi while on tour, remember to pack snacks and refreshment drinks, Return to Rukungiri town or drive to Kabale for overnight stay.
Historically the falls are known as a tragic place where unmarried pregnant Bakiga girls would be thrown off the cliff to die for the shame they brought upon their families and community. Over time, this practice was stopped and it became a place of hope, restoration and healing when Church of Uganda established Kisiizi Hospital in 1958 as well as schools and a nursing institution to provide health care and educational opportunities to the surrounding community.
The hospital management established a mini hydro power plant and water facility completed in 2008 that serves the community of Kisiizi and the surplus power generated by the new station is shared with other institutions within the hospital complex and the rest is sold to the neighboring community to generate operational funds for the station.
Kisiizi valley was also used by the British as a site for a flax processing factory in 1944, built to produce linen cords for parachutes used in the Second World War. Italian prisoners of war that had been captured in Abyssinia were brought to Kisiizi to provide labour.
Geographically, the falls are located in a forested area and gorge famous for bird life including endemic species like the Ross Turaco, Double Toothed barbet and the cinnamon Bee eater. Kisiizi area also links the Virunga ranges famed for the Mountain Gorilla attraction and the Ishasha sector of the queen Elizabeth national park.
Kisiizi falls is known for the beautiful natural environment, canoeing along river Rushoma and a trek to the top of the falls.
Please remember to review us on face book and trip advisor– Petnah Africa Tours and Travel
TOTAL TRIP COST: Click on link https://petnahafricatours.com/contact-us/ for quotation
Optional activities; Visit Bwindi, Visit Mgahinga
- All activities mentioned in the itinerary
- Transfers and photography
- Bottled drinking water and lunch
- English speaking driver and local guide
- Visa fees, International flights, Personal insurance
- Phone bills, tips, laundry services and other personal expenses
- Alcoholic drinks and any activities outside the itinerary
- Country health status: There is no health scare
- Fees quoted include applicable government taxes and 18% VAT as per the taxation policy of Uganda.
- CANCELLATION POLICY
The following policies apply to all confirmed bookings made by the client;
- Cancellations received within 30 -10 days’ notice to date of departure will incur 25 % charge
- Cancellations received within 9-2 days’ notice to date of departure will incur 50% charge
- Cancellations received within less than 48 hours to date of departure incur the full charge
- No shows without communication over the whole safari period will be charged 100%
- Cancellations of bookings in peak seasons (Christmas, new year and Easter) received 60 days to date of departure will incur a cancellation charge of 100%
- Cancellations must be advised in writing via email to the reservations or tours manager
Thank you for choosing Petnah Africa Tours and Travel