Lake Mutanda Community tour
Lake Mutanda Community tour: This is a little known yet scenic fresh water lake located about 20Kms from Kisoro town in the foothills of the Virunga ranges which span over the borders of Uganda, Rwanda and Congo.
It is dotted by about 15 islands with lush vegetation, crop terraces along the high land slopes set against a stunning backdrop of cloudy peaks of Mountains Muhavura, Gahinga and Sabinyo which make up Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
This lake is drained by Rutshuru river which flows northwards to L. Edward
Spare a day and visit or plan a community based tour to lake Mutanda community on your south western Uganda adventures to discover the hidden jewels of mother nature.
Lunch is packed while dinner and overnight stay in Kabale town upon return from the whole days activities.
Attractions and Activities
Trek mountain gorillas and golden monkeys in Mgahinga national park which is about 1.5 hours away or Bwindi 45 minutes away, birding of species like the pied and malachite kingfisher, Great Cormorant, Pin–tailed Whydah, sun birds, kites, ibis, crested crane, catch sites of many weaver bird nests, insect life and mammals such as African clawless otter. There are python snakes known to be on Python island and Hippos were last sighted in 1994.
Visit the biggest island is called Mutanda inhabited by the Abagesera clan who grow crops like peas, bananas and sugarcanes for subsistence. It also has a church where worshippers gather including those from the mainland who canoe for service.
There are two islands called punishment islands for being places where young unmarried pregnant girls and other criminals in the community were thrown over the cliff to their death, some were tied and abandoned there to starve to death while others were killed and bodies dumped there which practice stopped many years ago with the coming of civilization.
To this day, skeletons can be found there and locals believe the islands are haunted and so do not visit. The python island has many such snakes and so does not get visitors often.
Canoe on the calm waters of this freshwater lake Mutanda and enjoy the cool breeze and tranquility given the natural environment, catch views of the beautiful landscape and scenery provided by the high rising Volcano mountain ranges as well as birds and otters.
Hike the hills or mountain bike around the lake and get view points for photography
Please remember to review us on face book and trip advisor– Petnah Africa Tours and Travel
TOTAL TRIP COST: Click on link https://petnahafricatours.com/contact-us/ for quotation
Optional Activities; Summit the volcano ranges
- Mutanda community tour
- Bottled mineral water
- Full time English speaking driver and guide
- Visa fees, international flights, personal insurance
- Phone bills, tips and other personal expenses
- Alcoholic drinks and extra activities outside the itinerary
- Country health status: There is no disease out break
- CANCELLATION POLICY
The following policies apply to all confirmed bookings made by the client;
- Cancellations received within 30 -10 days’ notice to date of departure will incur 25 % charge
- Cancellations received within 9-2 days’ notice to date of departure will incur 50% charge
- Cancellations received within less than 48 hours to date of departure incur the full charge
- No shows without communication over the whole safari period will be charged 100%
- Cancellations of bookings in peak seasons (Christmas, new year and Easter) received 60 days to date of departure will incur a cancellation charge of 100%
- Cancellations must be advised in writing via email to the reservations or tours manager
Thank you for choosing Petnah Africa Tours and Travel